Seeing into darkness is clarity . . .
This is called practicing eternity . . .

--Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tango the Wonder Dog

I have to take a moment here to brag on Tango’s amazingness.  He didn’t get the nickname Tango the Wonder Dog for nothing!  For some reason I don’t quite understand, Tango has never liked Lottie.  Everyone loves Tango, including Lottie, but he has never warmed up to her.  And she wants so badly to play with him!  But he just tolerates her at best, and growls and snaps at her when he’s really annoyed. 
Tango and Lottie at Petsmart during my class


 But then last week – breakthrough!  We were in the bedroom, and I was getting ready for bed, when suddenly, Lottie went up to Tango and elicited play, and he reciprocated with a play bow!  Then not only did he allow her to jump on his neck, but he also rolled over on his back and let her nom on him!  They gently rolled and played so nicely together, it was heartwarming to watch, as I have watched poor Lottie try and try and try for months to make friends with Tango.

A few nights later, I watched another Tango/Lottie interaction, that made me appreciate my good boy Tango.  Lottie has been sleeping loose in the bedroom with us for the last month or so, with the exception of a few nights when she decides to bark at Tango sometime in the middle of the night.  Last night shortly after I turned out the lights, Lottie couldn’t settle down, and started barking at Tango.  He walked over to the bed, and looked deploringly at me, as if to say, “Please make her stop.”  I said, “Lottie, that’s enough,” which is silly because she can’t hear.  Of course she didn’t stop.  I said, “I’m sorry, Tango,” and just as I was going to get up and take her downstairs to her crate, Tango went over and slowly rolled over in front of her to let her nom on him.  It was totally like he sacraficed himself for the good of us all.  After a few minutes of gentle play, she settled down and went to sleep.  Yay Tango, that’s my good, good boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment