Seeing into darkness is clarity . . .
This is called practicing eternity . . .

--Lao-Tzu

Friday, May 4, 2012

Living Light Out Loud

As I get to know Lottie Moon, I find myself asking, What does she really see?  What does she really hear?  What does she really experience?  How sighted is she, really?  When she first came home, she ran into a lot of stuff.  I wanted to get her a helmet.  When she was in the yard, she didn't stray too far from me or the other dogs.  She seemed uncertain about what and where the boundries were.  But within a week, I find that I have to remind myself that she is blind.  She manuvers throughout the house just like the other dogs.  She runs up and down the stairs and from room to room, with pure confidence.  Sometimes she still runs into me, but I move fast, and honestly, sometimes the other dogs run into me, too.
Tango making the Ugly Face at Lottie, telling her "get away from my tennis ball."  Does she get any message from him when he does this?  Does she sense his intent in some way?

 


When Lottie barks directly over and close to my shoe, I realized I could FEEL her bark, very strongly.  It was a rather harsh vibration that was localized in my foot, and went half-way up my leg.  With her heightened non-compromised senses, is this vibration what she feels instead of hears?  There are times that she seems to respond to my voice, since I talk to her just like I would any other dog, yet when I try to establish a hearing test for her, she fails miserably.  A click or shrill scream from right behind her ear produces no effect whatsoever.  I find myself wondering what does she feel, and also what does she hear and see in her head?  Does she pick up on energy and translate that into a usable navigation and communication sense?  I am fully aware of the amazing results of energy awareness and transference.  I know that I can "think" a thought and communicate that to my pets, and they can do the same for me.  The abilities of energy within the framework of the new work of quantum physics, and certainly beyond what we yet know, is mind-blowing.  It is this potential for energy awareness in a dog like Lottie that facinates me.  Because she is lacking in two senses, she must have heightened awareness in others.  And oh, how fun it is to imagine and wonder at the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment