Seeing into darkness is clarity . . .
This is called practicing eternity . . .

--Lao-Tzu

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Grand Mal


Last night we were in bed by 11:00 pm. Then suddenly I was awakened at
12:28 by Lottie. She was on the floor, flailing around. I jumped out
of bed and ran to her, she was having a seizure, crying, panting,
jerking swinging legs, drooling. I thought she was going to die. I
held her, did energy work, prayed, did reiki, yelled at her and
commanded her to NOT die, and eventually something kicked in and she
came out of her seizure. Once she was over the Grand Mal portion, she
got up and started running around the room, jumping on and off the bed,
leaping over the other dogs, running into the closed bedroom door,
falling to the floor. This, I have discovered in my fresh research, is
called the Post Ictal period. The whole thing seemed to last FOREVER,
but I'm sure it was less than 10 minutes. It was a long time, though.
I have seen seizures in dogs on several occasions, but this did seem to
last an exceptionally long time. Maybe just because it was my sweet
little Lottie Moon, but if it happens again, I will try to remember to
video it. IF it happens again. I'm hoping NOT. Because she has night
terrors almost every night, my initial thought was that this might be
related. I don't know, now, more research is needed. In the meantime,
I think I will call my phenomenal holistic vet and see what she
recommends.

2 comments:

  1. poor baby!!!!!!!! my blue merle aussie is epileptic...i give him melatonin at night to keep them at bay...works super well...let me know if you need advice or help....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melatonin, good to know! I'm hoping this will be an isolated incident, but if they continue I will certainly get her on something to minimize them. I've been giving her a bit of black strap molasses in the evening before bedtime at the suggestion of an herbalist--the magnesium is supposed to help.

      Delete