Seeing into darkness is clarity . . .
This is called practicing eternity . . .

--Lao-Tzu

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Seeing Into Light


I called my blog “Seeing Into Darkness,” which is from a poem by Lao-Tzu.  I liked the image of breaking through the darkness born of sightlessness, and helping to bring light into Lottie’s life, as well as my own, through her.  But recently I learned that Lottie’s vision difficulties might actually result from too much light!

When we were at Dog Scout Camp, I met an optomitrist who had recently helped a veterinarian design a vision test for a dog who had had cateract surgery.  She felt that Lottie probably has rods, and not cones, in her eyes, which would mean that she sees better in lower light.  She said that in daylight, things would look whited-out to Lottie, and that only high-contract, larger objects could be seen.  This totally makes sense to me, because Lottie gets very excited to chase shadows in the moonlight, and not so much in the sunlight.  She also seems to be able to see objects at a distance much better at night, as well.  She will alert and bark at trees or buildings at night, and ignore the same ones during daytime hours.  I can totally picture in my mind, too, what this “whited out” vision might look like for Lottie.  You know how on TV or movies when people have near-death experiences and they go to the light, and see dark pseudo-outlines of angels and loved ones who come out of the white light?  That’s what I imagine Lottie must see, based on my new knowledge.  Do I look like a dark angel appearing from the light to Lottie??? Maybe!!

So based on this, I decided to get Lottie Moon some sunglasses.  I figure that if daytime is too bright for her, maybe darkening things a bit might help.  I also would feel better when she is outside in bright sun light for longer periods if she had on some darkening glasses.  She is rarely outside in bright sun for very long, but if she is, I worry about her pale blue eyes and the sun damage that might result.  The first time it was ever a concern for me was at camp when we were out at the pond during the middle of the day.  So for camp #2, I bought her some Doggles.

We haven’t had much of a chance to play with them since they arrived in the mail this week.  I put them on her, and she flailed around a bit and tried to take them off, unless I distracted her with food.  We’ll try them again when we are doing something fun and exciting, like taking a walk, and get her used to them.  Regardless of how Lottie feels about them, I think they ROCK!  I got her the leopard design, which is ultra phat, and looks fabulous on her!






No comments:

Post a Comment